CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL FEATURES OF LIVER TUMOURS: A TEN-YEAR STUDY
AbstractBackground: Various diseases affect the liver, among them, malignant and benign tumours with hepatic nodules are the most important. We aimed to evaluate the clinicopathological findings related to hepatic tumours and nodules. Methods: This retrospective study was carried out during November 2014 to August 2015 by reviewing the hospital medical records of 164 registered patients with liver biopsies referred to Shahid Sadoughi educational General Hospital, Yazd, Iran, between 2004 and 2014. The samples were selected through the census method. Age, gender, clinical symptoms, initial clinical diagnosis, pathology reports and ultrasound results were considered as variables. Data were analysed by using SPSS-17. Results: There were 87 (53%) men and 77 (47%) women. The mean ages of presentation for malignant and benign tumours were 57.9±17.2 and 44.9±19.4 years, respectively. Seventy benign tumours and 147 malignant tumours were recorded. The most frequent chief complaint was abdominal pain (54.9%) in both malignant (56.50%) and benign tumours (41.20%). Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and hemangioma were the most prevalent malignant and benign hepatic tumours, respectively. In our study, correlation between pathology reports and primary diagnoses was 40.9%, and a significant relationship was found between sonography and pathological findings (p=0.038). Conclusions: We found that only when primary clinical diagnosis and sonography were in favour of malignancy, they were correlated with pathology results. Clinicopathological assessments can help physicians in their diagnosis in order to facilitate the management of hepatic tumours.
- Shaked O, Siegelman ES, Olthoff K, Reddy K. Biologic and Clinical Features of Benign Solid and Cystic Lesions of the Liver. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;9(7):547–62.
- Rodríguez-Peláez M, Menéndez De Llano R, Varela M. Tumoures benignos del hígado.Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;33(5):391–7.
- Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2015. CA Cancer J Clin. 2015 Jan-Feb;65(1):5-29.
- Ji Y, Zhu X, Sun H, Tan Y, Ma Z, Ye Q, et al. Hepatocellular adenoma and focal nodular hyperplasia: a series of 24 patients with clinicopathological and radiological correlation. Chin Med J (Engl) 2000;113(9):852–7.
- Cong W, Wu M, Wang Y. [Clinicopathological study on 3,160 cases of liver tumours] .Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 1997;26(2):70–3.
- Chung EM, Lattin GE Jr, Cube R, Lewis RB, Marichal-Hernandez C, Shawhan R, et al. From the Archives of the AFIP: Pediatric Liver Masses: Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation Part 2. Malignant Tumours. Radiographics 2011;31(2):483–507.
- Wu W, Chen MH, Sun M, Yan K, Yang W, Li JY. Contrast-enhanced ultrasound of hepatocarcinogenesis in liver cirrhosis. Chin Med J (Engl) 2012;125(17):3104–9.
- Liver Metastasis: Symptoms, Causes & Diagnosis [Internet]. Healthline [cited 2015 Feb 4]. Available from: http://www.healthline.com/health/liver-metastases#Overview1
- Konfortion J, Coupland VH, Kocher HM, Allum W, Grocock MJ, Jack RH. Time and deprivation trends in incidence of primary liver cancer subtypes in England. J Eval Clin Pract 2014;20(4):498–504.
- Abbasi A, Butt N, Bhutto AR, Gulzar K, Munir SM. Hepatocellular carcinoma: a clinicopathological study. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2010;20(8):510–3.
- Chiche L, Adam J. Diagnosis and Management of Benign Liver Tumours. Semin Liver Dis 2013;33(3):236–47.
- Ehrl D, Rothaug K, Herzog P, Hofer B, Rau H-G. “Incidentaloma” of the Liver: Management of a Diagnostic and Therapeutic Dilemma. HPB Surg 2012;2012:1–14.
- Honsová E, Lodererová A, Gottfriedová H. [How to improve the histopathological diagnosis of hepatocellular benign affections (adenoma versus focal nodular hyperplasia) in daily practice?]. Cesk Patol 2013;49(4)149–52.
- Can A, Dogan E, Bayoglu IV, Tatli AM, Besiroglu M, Kocer M, et al. Multicenter epidemiologic study on hepatocellular carcinoma in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2014;15(6):2923–7.
- Somboon K, Siramolpiwat S, Vilaichone RK. Epidemiology and survival of hepatocellular carcinoma in the central region of Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2014;15(8):3567–70.
- Manwong M, Songserm N, Promthet S, Matsuo K. Risk factors for cholangiocarcinoma in the lower part of Northeast Thailand: a hospital-based casecontrol study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2013;14(10):5953–6.
- Zhou HB, Hu JY, Hu HP. Hepatitis B virus infection and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2014;20(19):5721–9.
- Taseva A, Tasev V, Bulanov D, Dimitrov K, Popov V, Zivkov E, et al. Diagnosis of liver hemangioma. Khirurgiia (Sofiia) 2013;(3):8–13.
- Theodosopoulos T, Dellaportas D, Tsangkas A, Tsangkas N, Psychogiou V, Yiallourou A, et al. Clinicopathological features and management of hepatic vascular tumours. A 20-year experience in a Greek University Hospital. J BUON 2013;18(4):1026–31.