ANALYSIS OF PALATAL RUGAE PATTERN IN POPULATION OF ABBOTTABAD: A FORENSIC STUDY
AbstractBackground: Identification of unknown dead bodies’ especially bony remains is done by different methods like DNA typing, Finger printing, Dental and other skeletal data, facial reconstruction and rugae pattern study. Palatal rugae pattern study or Ruguscopy gives a unique method of identification in cases of skeletal remains due to its uniqueness, resistance to heat, and stability throughout life. Methods: This simple random sampling was carried out on 102 study models (casts of palate) of patients having 880 rugae patterns above 20 years of age in Khan Dental Clinic near Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad. The study is based on classification given by Thomas et al. Casts were taken from palate and then individual casts studied for rugae pattern. They were classified and variations studied for uniqueness results: Each individual had different set of palatal rugae which are not same, in all its dimensions like size shape number etc. Conclusion: With the help of this study we can conclude that Palatal rugae pattern give unique method for individual identification.Keywords: Plica palatine; Palate; skeletal remains; palatoscopy; Dental
- Kamala R, Gupta N, Bansal A, Sinha A. Palatal rugae pattern as an aid for personal identification: a forensic study. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2011;23(3):173–8.
- English WR, Ribison SF, Summit JB, Oesterle LJ, Brannon RB, Morlang WM. Individuality of Human Palatal Rugae. J Forensic Sci 1988;33(3):718–26.
- Kavitha B, Einstein A, Sivapathasundaram B, Saraswati TR. Limitations in forensic odontology. J Forensic Dent Sci 2009;1(1):8–10.
- Snell RS. Clinical anatomy by regions. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer (Health)/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008; p.926.
- Shetty D, Juneja A, Jain A, Khanna KA, Pruthi N, Gupta A, et al. Assessment of palatal rugae pattern and their reproducibility for application in forensic analysis. J Forensic Dent Sci 2013;5(2):106–9.
- Kumar A, Shree B, Gandhi P, Joshi R. Analysis of palatal rugae patterns in population of malwa region of punjab: a forensic study. J Adv Med Dent Sci Res 2016;4(1):44.
- Jaisingh R, Deshmukh S, Srilatha KT. Palatal rugae patterns as an adjunct to gender determination in forensic identification procedures in a paediatric population. J Forensic Sci Criminol 2016;4(3):1–6.
- Saraf A, Bedia S, Indurkar A, Degwekar S, Bhowater R. Rugae patterns as an adjunct to sex differenciation in forensic identification. J Forensic Odontostomatol 2011;29(1):14–29.
- Thomas CJ, Kotze TJ. The palatal rugae pattern: A new classification. J Den Assoc S Afr 1983;38(3):153–7.
- Kapali S, Townsend G, Richards L, Parish T. Palatal rugae patterns in Australian aborigines and Caucasians. Aust Dent J 1997;42(2):129–33.
- Bharath ST, Kumar GR, Dhanapal R, Saraswathi T. Sex determination by discriminant function analysis of palatal rugae from a population of coastal Andhra. J Forensic Dent Sci 2011;3(2):58–62.
- Robison WR, Summitt SF, Oesterle JB, Brannon LJ, Morlang RB, Morlang WM. Individuality of human palatal rugae. J Forensic Sci 1988;33(3):718–26.
- Lima S. Belo Horizonte: Faculty of Dentistry, Minas Gerais. Consid Study Palatal Ridge Dr Thesis 1964;10.
- Indira AP, Gupta M, David PM. Usefullness of palatal rugae patterns in establishing identity: Preliminary results from Bengaluru city, India. J Forensic Dent Sci 2012;4(1):2–5.
- Bing L, Wu XP, Feng Y, Wang YJ, Liu HC, Bing L, et al. Palatal Rugae for the Construction of Forensic Identification. Int J Morphol 2014;32(546):546–50.
- Palatinas R, de su Forma SD. Palatal Rugae: Systemic Analysis of Its Shape and Dimension for Use in Human Identification. Int J Morphol 2009;27(3):819–25.
- Verma K, Verma P, Bansal N, Basavaraju S, Sachdeva S, Khosa R. Correlation of Palatal Rugoscopy with Gender, Palatal Vault Height and ABO Blood Groups in Three Different Indian Populations. Ann Med Health Sci Res 2014;4(5):769–74.
- Manjunath S, Bakkannavar SM, Kumar P, Bhat VJ, Prabhu N, Kamath A, et al. Palatal Rugae Patterns among The Indians At Manipal, India. J Pharmaceutical Biomed Sci 2012;20(20):1–5.
- Ohtani M, Nishida N, Chiba T, Fukuda M, Miyamoto Y, Yoshioka N. Indication and limitations of using palatal rugae for personal identification in edentulous cases. Forensic Sci Int 2008;176(2-3):178–82.
- Indira A, Gupta M, David MP. Usefullness of palatal rugae patterns in establishing identity: Preliminary results from Bengaluru city, India. J Forensic Dent Sci 2012;4(1):2–5.
- Sharma P, Saxena S, Rathod V. Comparative Reliability of Cheiloscopy and Palatoscopy in Human Identification. Indian J Dent Res 2009;20(4):453–7.
- Azab MS, Magdy R, El Deen MA. Patterns of Palatal Rugae among Egyptian Population. Egyptian J Forensic Sci 2015;6:1–6.
- Rajan VP, John JB, Stalin A, Priya G, Abuthagir AK. Morphology of Palatal Rugae among 5-15 Years Old Children. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2013;5(Suppl 1):43–7.