COMPLICATIONS OF NOSE AND PARANASAL SINUS DISEASE
AbstractBackground: Diseases of nose and paranasal sinuses can complicate to involve the orbit and othersurrounding structures because of their close proximity. These diseases are usually infective or canbe neoplastic in origin. Method: All the patients presenting in ENT or Eye Departments of AyubTeaching Hospital during the one year study period who had complicated nose or paranasal sinusdisease were included in the study. A detailed history and examination followed by CT scanningand laboratory investigations to assess the type and extent of the disease, was carried out. Results:Infections were the most common cause of complicated sinus disease 11 (75%). The rest of the 4(25%) cases were tumours. 12 (80%) of the cases presented with proptosis. In 1 of these 12 cases,there was complete blindness. In 2 (13%) of the cases there was only orbital cellulitis. Two ofthese patients had facial swelling and 2 had nasal obstruction and presented as snoring. Twopatients presented with history of weight loss and these patients had malignant tumour of theparanasal sinuses. One patient presented with early signs of meningitis. In 1 case subperiostealscalp abscess (Pott’s puffy tumour) was the only complication noted. Conclusion: Nose andparanasal sinus diseases can complicate to involve mostly the orbit, but sometimes brain,meninges and skull bones can also get involved.Keywords: Paranasal sinuses, orbital complications, complicated sinus disease, Pott’s puffy tumour
Akinsola FB, Somefun AO, Oguntoyinbo OS. Ophthalmological
complications of nasal, paranasal sinus diseases and head and
neck tumours. East Afr Med J 2006;83(12):674–8.
Oxford LE, McClay. Complications of acute sinusitis in children.
J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005;133(1):32–7.
Sobol SE, Marchand J, Tewfik TL, Manoukian JJ, Schloss MD.
Orbital complications of sinusitis in children. J Otolaryngol
Spitellie PH, Jordan DR, Brownstein S, Gooi P, Burns B.
Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma with a frozen globe.
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2008;24(3):225–7.
Eustis HS, Fee MF, Walton C, Mondonca J. MR imaging and CT
of orbital infections and complications in acute rhinosinusitis.
Radiol Clin North Am 1998;36(6):1165–83, xi.
Güven M, Süoglu Y, Erdamar B, Cölhan I, Demir D. [Orbital
complications of acute sinusitis]. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg
;12(5-6):115–9. [Article in Turkish]
Mekhitarian Neto L, Pignatari S, Mitsuda S, Fava AS, Stamm A.
Acute sinusitis in children: a retrospective study of orbital
complications. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed);73(1):75–9.
Mortimore S, Wormald PJ. The Groote Schuur hospital
classification of the orbital complications of sinusitis. Laryngol
Mitchell R, Kelly J, Wagner J. Bilateral orbital complications of
pediatric rhinosinusitis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg
Journal of Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad is an OPEN ACCESS JOURNAL which means that all content is FREELY available without charge to all users whether registered with the journal or not. The work published by J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad is licensed and distributed under the creative commons License CC BY ND Attribution-NoDerivs. Material printed in this journal is OPEN to access, and are FREE for use in academic and research work with proper citation. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad accepts only original material for publication with the understanding that except for abstracts, no part of the data has been published or will be submitted for publication elsewhere before appearing in J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. The Editorial Board of J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and authenticity of material printed in J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. However, conclusions and statements expressed are views of the authors and do not reflect the opinion/policy of J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad or the Editorial Board.
USERS are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.
AUTHORS retain the rights of free downloading/unlimited e-print of full text and sharing/disseminating the article without any restriction, by any means including twitter, scholarly collaboration networks such as ResearchGate, Academia.eu, and social media sites such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Scholar and any other professional or academic networking site.